Translate

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Break The Mental Block


Sometimes the thing that holds me back the most when it comes to pushing myself is my fear of failing or getting hurt. And one thing I've learned over the past three years is the biggest barrier is my own mental block. That's one reason when I'm going for a one rep max on something, like deadlifts, Michael won't tell me the weight as it increases. He knows if I have any idea how much weight is on that bar, it will cause me to have a mental block of that I can't do it, when in reality I probably could.


One of the most recent mental blocks I overcame was with my box jumps. I have always used the smallest box for box jumps. Several months ago Michael did have me attempt the next higher box, and I was able to do a couple but it was very unstable and I was really insecure. I had a major fear of getting hurt, so he held off on me doing anymore with that height. Well, yesterday I was faced with this challenge again. Someone else was needing the lower box and so I decided to try it again and really push myself. I attempted a few jumps, and even though I was still nervous, I said I would go ahead with it for the workout and if it became too much for me I would just go to step-ups. Well, once I got started and realized I was actually doing it, it was like the confidence I had in myself started to come out and I busted the jumps out. I ended up doing 30 box jumps with this higher box, and was so proud of the fact I broke that mental block, faced my fear, and was able to exceed my expectations!



Photo courtesy of Michael Watkins - Owner Fitness Together


I know it's hard to face your fears and to break those mental blocks, but once you do, it will be one of the best feelings you ever have! That feeling of accomplishment and pride in being able to do something you thought you would never be able to do! So, keep pushing yourself to be better and don't let your own mental blocks be the biggest barrier in achieving your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment