Translate

Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Drug

I frequently get asked how often I go to the fitness center. A typical week, I'm there six days a week, sometimes two to three times a day. That's when I will get the usual reply, "sounds like your addicted (or obsessed)". I was just talking to a few people recently at the fitness center about how to this day I still get the following questions/comments from people.

  • Are you still working out with a personal trainer?
  • How much longer do you plan on working with a trainer? Shouldn't you be able to eventually do this on your own?
  • How much more weight are you going to lose?
  • You're losing too much weight.
  • You're obsessed/addicted to working out.
It used to really bother me, and even though it can still be somewhat annoying, I've learned to not let it upset me. The thing that would bother me the most is, the people making these comments typically don't understand what I've gone through. They don't know my current weight, body fat percentage, measurements, or how much further I really have to go. They don't realize this is a part of my life, not just a phase or something temporary.

Today a friend of mine posted on her Facebook page about how her whole body feels like it was hit by a truck. She stated, "For some reason I like being worked out until I feel like hell". The thing is, I totally get this feeling. When others who don't understand continually make comments as if we were addicted to some horrible drug, it can become slightly irritating. I know the majority of the people who say these things aren't trying to be annoying, but like I said, they just don't get why we love what others hate about working out. Now, I do feel there are a few who make these comments out of jealousy because they want to be able to get the results I've gotten; which if they really wanted to, they could. They just have to want it bad enough, be ready to change, and be willing to put in the effort and hard work.

Yes, I push myself to the limit and then push harder. Yes, during my session I'll yell out I hate this and I'll even tell my trainer I hate him; but then the next day love the feeling of the aches and pains because that means I pushed myself outside my comfort zone. I'm not looking to be skinny, but I'm working my ass off to be healthy. So, if anyone is curious of my replies to these common questions/comments above:

  • Are you still working out with a personal trainer? Yes, I'm still working with a personal trainer.
  • How much longer do you plan on working with a trainer? Shouldn't you be able to eventually do this on your own? I don't ever see me not having a personal trainer. It's called maintenance and accountability.
  • How much more weight are you going to lose? I don't know. When I get there, I'll know because I'll have the guidance of my personal trainer.
  • You're losing too much weight. How do you know if I'm losing too much weight? So far my personal trainer AND my doctor feel I'm moving forward just fine.
  • You're obsessed/addicted to working out. Call it what you want, I'm the healthiest I've ever been in my life. I'm doing things I've never done before or never thought I could do. I can deadlift 255 pounds!
So what if I'm addicted/obsessed with working out, at least it's something that's benefiting me in a positive way. I'm proud to say, "working out is my drug, and my trainer is my dealer"! What's your addiction/obsession; and what's it doing for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment