Translate

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Non-Scale Victories

 
It's just natural for anyone wanting to lose weight to only focus on the scale. I still find myself getting discouraged when I step on the scale and it didn't go down the way I expected or wanted it to. I haven't posted weigh-in updates for a couple weeks, and that's due to I haven't weighed in for two weeks. I had plateaued the last two weigh-ins I did and so my trainer modified my meal plan. This Saturday I'll weigh to see how those modifications worked and I will post the results this weekend.

But, in the mean time, I've been able to have a few non-scale victories over the past couple weeks. The first one I actually already blogged about, but I'm so proud of it I'll mention it again. I hit a new personal record on deadlifts and maxed out at lifting 230 pounds. That's right, I've got guys that are jealous and I put to shame, I'm just sayin'! :) Then earlier this week, I was able to finally wear the smaller workout shirts I had bought. And then tonight I was able to hit a new speed on the treadmill. Just to put this treadmill accomplishment into prospective for you, keep in mind when I first started doing cardio on the treadmill over two years ago I was still over 300 pounds. In the beginning I was only walking at a speed of 2.0 - 2.5 for about 10 to 15 minutes. After a few weeks I attempted running and was able to run at a speed of 3.5 for about 30 seconds and then went back down to walking. Of course over time, now I'll do anywhere from an hour to two hours on the treadmill. I'm doing sprint and incline intervals and running longer periods of time. The last time I did sprint intervals the fastest I ever attempted on the treadmill was a 6.0. Tonight however I decided to go out of my comfort zone and go for a speed of 6.5. But, I decided not to stop there. I had one interval left so I just went for it and sprinted for one minute at a speed of 7.0. When I completed that minute I realized just how far I've come. When I first started I could only run at a 3.5, and now I walk at a 3.5 as part of my warm up, and I just sprinted 7.0 which is twice the speed! I feel I've bonded with that treadmill and I hope Michael never gets rid of it! :) 

Of course when I got done I went and bragged to Michael and the other trainer James, well mainly because I deserved to brag. But it's like Michael told me tonight, success isn't just about the scale. Sometimes I think we tend to get so focused on the scale, we forget to acknowledge the other ways we can measure that we are becoming stronger and healthier. So, next time you aren't seeing the number you want on the scale, before you give up or become discouraged think back on your own health and fitness journey and look at all the non-scale victories and celebrate those.

No comments:

Post a Comment