Translate

Monday, September 2, 2013

Fad Diets = Health Risk


I've mentioned before in a prior post how fad diets might get you some quick results, but they will be temporary. But, not only are they not sustainable, there are some that can actually be more of a risk for your body and health.

I intended to get on here and talk how it's possible to enjoy your holiday cookouts and gatherings, and still not feel like you over indulged. But, when I came across this one particular fad diet, The ABC Diet Plan, I decided to post about the importance of eating healthy and working out regularly, regardless if it's a holiday or not.

The idea of this fad diet is to trick the body's metabolism. HOWEVER, this particular fad diet, is NOT the way to go if you want to trick your body! The calorie intake per day ranges from 0 (yes, they have 5 days where you get ZERO calories) up to 800 calories. Of course, there is only one day with 800, all the others are 500 or less. This is probably the most ridiculous fad diet I've come across. I want to highlight some of the article, including the chart that shows what your calorie intake should be each day.

"The ABC diet is not advised by many diet experts..."
"Some people who go through this diet they find it extremely effective, however not for long, as after completion they gain most of their weight back and end up in a worst state then before they started it."
"ABC diet like every low calorie health diet is risky, as you don’t actually loose body fat as it appears but water instead. During the diet period your body will get use to save energy as the calorie intake is minimal. When you finish the ABC diet your body will continue to save the calories and store even more body fat than before, therefore you actually gain more weight than you lost."
And then of course the following additional risks:
  • Malnutrition
  • Fatigue
  • A learned obsession with calories, fat and sugar intakes
  • Paranoia
  • Sensitivity to cold temperatures
  • Depression
  • An increased likelihood to participate in other dangerous eating rituals
     

I completely understand the body needs to be tricked at times. Our body's get used to the same nutrition or workouts, and changing these things up can help you trigger that weight-loss you are needing. I'm going through that right now. For several months I basically wasn't doing anything on the scale, just going up and down with the same few pounds. But, four weeks ago, my whole body was put into shock and it showed that first week. I changed trainers, which changed how I worked out in my sessions and my cardio, and I lost seven pounds that first week! And now we are looking at making some adjustments on my nutrition, and I'm starting a new meal plan tomorrow.

The important thing to keep in mind, is it's okay to trick your body, but make sure you are making smart and healthy choices. Yet again, another reason it's good to have a personal trainer. They will help you make the changes needed to get the results you want in a safe and healthy way. I can't stress enough how important it is to not get sucked into these fad diets. All I ask, is if you feel some fad diet is your last hope, please contact me directly. I personally may not know what you need, but I definitely know people who do and they can help!

No comments:

Post a Comment