Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Daily Thoughts - Being Spiritually Healthy

I started to write about what it means to be emotionally healthy, but decided to save that one for last because I think your physical, mental, and spiritual health all tie in together and affects your emotional health. So, today I’m going to discuss what it means to be spiritually healthy. I’m not talking about your religious beliefs, although most people find some type of peace and comfort within their beliefs of scriptures, readings, etc. But, despite if you’re a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist, or any other religion; we all have that desire to have that feeling of comfort and peace in our lives. And my personal opinion, from my own personal experience, is religion actually can complicate your spiritual health.
 
Long story short, I was raised in a Lutheran church. I left the church about three years ago after many struggles and was content as an atheist. About a year ago, was losing that peace and comfort I had and even felt like I did when I went through depression. I talked with a close friend and mentor and then decided to go back to the church and talk to the new pastor they had brought in after I had left. I still don’t have all the answers, I still have doubts and questions; but, what has changed is I’m no longer focused on “religion”, or what it means to be a Lutheran, or even what is right or wrong when it comes to what to believe. I’m focusing on my spiritual journey, and that journey includes my own personal relationship with God (not anyone else’s) and that also includes finding that peace and comfort.
 
That doesn’t mean I turn to the Bible or scriptures to work on my spiritual health every time, because as I said, it’s not about religion. Meditation is something I’ve started doing to help my spiritual health. It might be I close my office door at work for about 15 minutes and just read something positive. One time I showed up to FT early and feeling kind of blah, and Michael said go in the other room, shut the lights out and lay down. I might go to my room and read part of a book. I go for what I call “me time” walks where I put my music on and go walk for about 3 miles. For me there’s nothing better than just me, my music, and my thoughts.
 
For me being spiritually healthy means finding that inner peace within you, and finding things that help ease the stress and make you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment