Translate

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Daily Thoughts - Staying Focused

I'm going to build off yesterdays post about "Be Present & Do The Work". I have a couple examples from today where, being present, staying focused, and doing the work I was able to get more out of my workouts and was down 1.8 lbs since Saturday.


Example 1: This morning I went in to do cardio on my own. I wrote the following workout.
  • Rope Slams x100
  • KB Swings x80
  • Body Weight Squats x60
  • Ball Slams x40
  • Knee Grab Sit-ups x20
Going through one round of this workout would equal 300 reps. My first thought was, it would be awesome to be able to get 4 rounds in, which would mean I would have done 1200 reps by the time I was done. But, knowing I only had about 45 minutes before I would have to stop to get ready for work, I thought I'll be happy with finishing 3 rounds completing 900 reps. But, what happened? I didn't settle for what I would be happy with, I checked my shit at the door, was mentally present, stayed focused, did the damn work, and was able to finish 5 rounds! THAT'S 1500 REPS!!!!!

Example 2: I went back around lunch time for my private session with Michael. He had a workout that involved 5 rounds of exercises and he said lets time it. My first thought was, really hope I can finish the whole thing before my time is up. So, I started my first round and when I was almost done with the 4th round Michael mentioned where I was at on time and made the comment "Do you think you can finish in less than 30 minutes?" And as I kept going, just shrugged my shoulders and replied I don't know. I'm not sure if he thought I was being negative as if I thought I didn't think I could, or what, because he asked what I meant by "I didn't know." But, it wasn't that I didn't think I couldn't finish, in fact it was the exact opposite. I was actually thinking to myself, "Yeah I can finish this under 30 minutes." I just kept moving and finished in just a little over 27 minutes. But, because I stayed present in the workout, focused, and kept doing the work instead of getting sidetracked with the conversation around me, I was able to finish the workout. And then even had a little extra time to "play" as Michael put it. So, since we had time to play, he wanted me to see if I could do a clean and press with the 53lb Kettlebell. I did two rounds of 5 reps on each side with the lower weights, and then he brought the 53lb beast out and said just get one rep on each side. I successfully was able to do the one rep on each side, but then proceeded to do 5 reps on each side with the 53lb and got to ring the PR bell!

What has being present, staying focused, and doing the work done for me? I've gotten more accomplished in my workouts, I'm hitting new PRs, and I was down 1.8 lbs in four days! So, there you have it people! Never give up, stay focused, stay positive, and stay strong! Like I said yesterday in my post, SHOW UP, LEAVE YOUR SHIT AT THE DOOR, BE PRESENT, GIVE 100%, AND DO THE DAMN WORK!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment