Translate

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Daily Thoughts - Don't Worry, Be Happy

I personally tend to worry about crap that is out of my control, and 99% of the time it's also minor things. I end up making these minor issues bigger than they really are just because I sit and overthink things. Michael is always telling me worrying about something isn't getting me anywhere, nor is it changing the situation. And as this quote states, it steals my joy and everyone else is left to put up with my sulking and whining.

Today is Mother's Day and I slept until almost 1:00 in the afternoon. That is not normal for me, but I woke up not feeling well. Obviously I didn't go to church, and I asked my Mom if her and I could just do something next weekend for Mother's Day. And of course the understanding Mom she is, she said of course. A part of me was grateful, but a part of me felt guilty, especially after I found out my brother didn't make any plans either. So, I started to worry about if I was being selfish and maybe I should have just sucked it up and took her out for lunch or dinner. I mean, all our lives she never put off anything important to us just because she didn't feel well. She was Mom and nothing stopped her from doing what she needed to do for my brother and I. I did at least cook dinner for her and my dad so she wouldn't have to worry about it. And after a couple hours of beating myself up feeling guilty, my aunt called her and I overheard their conversation and my Mom made the comment, "I'm having a great day. Stayed home and didn't have to go anywhere." And I thought, maybe just staying home, resting, and not having to cook was just fine with her and I'm over here worried about myself and how I feel. I'm still taking her out next Sunday after church for lunch and movie, but after realizing worrying about it was just bringing me down and it wasn't changing the situation any.

So, as I'm realizing I'm over here worrying about stupid crap once again, I couldn't help but have a flashback of that song "Don't Worry Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin. So, I went out to YouTube, and not only did watching the video make me smile, but I had totally forgotten that it also had Robin Williams in it! I've inserted the video below so you can check it out! You can't help but be happy once you hear the song and see this video.


Why do we allow ourselves to worry about things instead of just being happy? Well, mainly it's because we are human. That's just our natural reaction to things we can't control. I'm not saying we won't have things happen that we won't be concerned about, but changing the way we approach things and react, we can quit wasting our time worrying and be happy. We can enjoy our life, loved ones, and focus on what we can control.

No comments:

Post a Comment