Translate

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Daily Thoughts - Healthy Competition

When working out with a group or a friend, it’s natural to want to be better or do more than the person next to you, and there is nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. I mean, when we have team workouts, I always partner up with Casey if he's there, because he’s the one person I know will always push me harder because I want to at least keep up with him. He’s actually one of the most athletic in our group at lunch, and definitely takes a lot to keep up with him. Now, I never expect to do more than him or beat him, I mean he’s a freaking wrestler! He’s super fast in obstacle courses and when we team up it forces me to push hard to TRY to beat him, even though I know that won't actually happen (at least for now). My main goal is to at least keep up.

But, where competition becomes unhealthy, is if you allow it to define who you are or what you’re capable of doing. If someone gets in more rounds than you in an AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible in a specific time frame), and you become discouraged or feel like you didn’t do well, then that’s a problem. The other day I had someone ask me what round I was on, and when I told them, their comment was “Oh, well I don’t feel so bad then.” I'm not sure exact round we were on, but they weren't that far behind me. My first thought was, does it matter? And why would you feel bad even if I was on round 8 and you were on round 4? If you are giving 100% in those 4 rounds, then that’s all that matters. I’m not saying you shouldn’t push yourself to do more if you’re wanting to keep up with someone or do more rounds, but don’t be so concerned about what everyone else is doing just to try to be better than them.

Another thing I would like to point out, as the quote in the picture states “Don’t compare your beginnings to someone else’s middle.” So many times I hear other clients comparing themselves to what I can do, how many times I work out a day, how strong I am, etc. And don’t get me wrong, I love I’m motivating and inspiring others to be better and push harder to do more, but I also want them to remember I’ve been doing this for over four years. Some of these people have only been there a couple years, and some less than a year. I wasn’t doing all this when I first started. I gradually worked my way up to working out this much, and it took time and hard work to get where I’m at today being able to deadlift 315lbs. I want others to push themselves beyond their comfort zone, do more than they think they can, even if it’s because they want to do more than me; but what I don’t want is for them to feel discouraged or that they aren’t doing well just because they fall short. Hell, as long as Casey’s around I’m always going to fall short from being first to finish or get the most rounds in. But, as long as I continue to do my best and give 100%, then I'm proud of what I've done.

There’s another quote, “The only person you need to be better than, is the person you were yesterday.” So, ask yourself this next time. Am I better than I was last time? Am I doing more than I did last time? If the answer is yes, then you’ve just beat the most important competition…..YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment