Translate

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Making Changes

I can't tell you how many times I started to diet or workout in the past only to end up giving up because I would get discouraged from trying to change everything at once. I would start with the mentality that I had to do everything just right and perfect, and the first time I gave into temptation and cheated on my diet or the exercising became too hard, that's when I would just give up and quit. I would tell myself I couldn't do it, it's too hard, and pretty much convince myself it's impossible. So, then I would go back to my old habits where I would end up eating like shit and I definitely wasn't attempting any type of exercising.

But what was different for me in 2011? First, I was determined to become healthier. When I realized I was 350 pounds I was embarrassed and ashamed of what I had allowed myself to become and I didn't want to be that person anymore. Second, for the first time I admitted to myself I needed professional help. That's why I sought out a personal trainer and I'll be forever grateful for Michael Watkins and his team of trainers at Fitness Together Jenks/Riverside and Downtown Tulsa. But, I think the most important thing that was different this time for me, was I walked into FT on March 5, 2011 (scared shitless, but I walked in anyway) with a totally different mindset. I walked in telling myself I deserve this, I can do this, and I also reminded myself this will not be something that happens overnight and that I need to make gradual changes.

And here it is almost 5 years later and I'm in the best health I've ever been my entire adult life. And here's the thing, I'm still working on weight-loss goals and I'm still making changes. I've been discouraged and I've had setbacks. I mean, I'm all about keeping it real, and the truth is I'm starting 2016 weighing slightly more than I started 2015. I actually gained this past year and I didn't see the results I wanted in the weight-loss area. But, what I didn't do, is I never gave up and I saw improvements in other areas of my life. I think about all the times I felt like quitting because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted, or how I was just tired of doing it, and when I think about it I end up with a horrible image in my mind. I see myself gradually reverting back to old habits and gaining all that weight back. And I'm not going to lie, the thought of that scares the shit out of me. Which is probably a good thing, because that's when I tell myself to shut the hell up and get my ass back on track.

Like I mentioned yesterday, this is the time of year when many people use the New Year to start new journeys, including working out and eating healthier. And, if this is you and you're tired of starting over every year, my advice is to start off with small changes. Don't try to change everything at once and definitely don't expect perfection or results overnight. But, instead focus on small changes and when you do reach that point where you're discouraged, whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP! Keep reminding yourself YOU DESERVE IT and YOU CAN DO IT! It'll be 5 years in March since I started my health and fitness journey with FT and I know with my determination I will continue to get the results I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment